Saturday, July 9, 2016

More "Wows" (part 5 of ?) (3/1/2015 to 4/28/2015)

Location: New Rockdale RV Park; Mansfield, Louisiana

Today is day 83 since Brandon's second stroke. Therapy is still happening 3 times a week with small improvements still being noticed. He has completely claimed his independence by driving himself to restaurants and walking in alone. All of the restaurant employees in Mansfield know him and will assist him if needed. He has driven into the edge of Shreveport to get some Taco Bell. I guess the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. :)   

This post is a continuation in a series of posts. Since I have been stationary for a while, I have taken that opportunity to organize my past travels. This series of post is a result of that organization. It will prove useful to the future. Although I have chosen some pictures to represent some of the "wows", they do not come close to representing everything I saw. The map is a useful tool to isolate a particular place by date. Using that date you can utilize the archive located in the right panel of the blog to find the more detailed blog entry about that place. 

It is a bit of a chore going through all of the pictures, but it is enjoyable to remember specific places. Sometimes, my mind can drift right back there and experience the sights, sounds, smells and vibrations of the place. I hope you enjoy them too. 


This is the route for this part. Unlike most of the eastern U.S. trip, these were all new states for me. I really enjoyed this part.

Air Force One at the Reagan Library. Excellent visit. 

This picture is an attempt to represent the Central Valley of California. It was shocking as to the size of the valley and the wide variety of crops being grown. I never thought of California as an agricultural state before.

A trip into the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

The Giant Sequoyas. I liked them much better than their cousins, The Coastal Redwoods.

A drive among the Giants. That is a Sequoya on the right. It was early spring and snow was everywhere in the higher elevations. I think I timed it perfect, except Yosemite was snowed in and I missed seeing it.

Large irrigation systems are all over the central valley. Blue ribbons of water.

The Pacific Ocean

Part of the Pacific Coast Highway


The Golden Gate Bridge. It is worth seeing.



More of the Pacific Ocean

Port Cabrillo Lighthouse

More Pacific Ocean


The beaches were mostly deserted due to the chilly weather, however I did find one person. :)






I don't remember the name of this lighthouse but it is near Crescent City, CA


More Pacific Ocean view. I think this is crescent shape of the beach may contribute to the name of the nearby town, Crescent City.

These people put in some time and effort. I think it paid off with a "wow".

A fellow "traveler". His owner was inside using the free WiFi. I'm not flat-belly enough to do that much walking

More Pacific Ocean. I hope it's not too boring.


A brave young lady screaming while she ran into the chilly water. She was laughing loud and having a good time.


One of the better sunsets I saw. That is what's left of an old shipwreck on the beach.

A replica of the campsite Lewis and Clark stayed at after seeing the Pacific Ocean

Sun setting of the Pacific Ocean. That is the rock jetty that protects the mouth of the Columbia River. In the distance is a large ship that just exited the river.

This is after I turned east from the ocean and following the Columbia River. Waterfalls are common to the area, but this is a very popular one right along the interstate. It is Multnomah Falls which is the tallest in Oregon.

The Columbia River.
It is without a doubt, the most beautiful river I've seen.


Bonneville Dam.
Worth a visit, even for non-engineers

Statue of Sacajawea, her baby and Captain Lewis's dog named Seaman. She has statues all over the northwest, but I liked this one the best.  

The Painted Hills.
This is just one of many, many hills with different colors.

I took a day trip to see Three Sisters. That's them in the distance. I found a beautiful mountain stream that was raging. 

Crater Lake.
No pictures can capture the beauty or the color.

White capped mountains everywhere you look.

I followed this RV for a while. Although I don't know them, I can relate to them as an RV traveler. To me this picture represents all RV'ers that are traveling down the road to the unknown; all the while breathing in that sweet smell of Freedom. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.




4 comments:

  1. The Columbia River is great all the way into Canada. I wanted to follow it into Canada but never got time. Congratulations to Brandon on his recuperation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I got a wild hair in 2006 and decided to drive to Seattle to see my son who was working there. I live in Abbeville and was attending a wedding in Dallas and said what the heck I'm part of the way. I was driving about 500 miles a day so didn't see much except what was along the interstates. I hated driving in the mountains so decided to take I-5 down to Bakersfield coming home. I never thought about all the farming in California either. I even passed a rice mill and didn't realize they grew rice. The irrigation systems are impressive. Miles and miles of cement canals. I would like to take that trip again and be able to take my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my it is wonderful to see places we have been and loved through your photos and your thoughts. Your picture of Multnomah Falls is spectacular. Best wishes for Brandon's continued progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one great set of pictures. Bet you will be back out west to see us again!

    ReplyDelete