Thursday, July 24, 2014

Goodbye Lake Huron

Location: Lakeport State Park; Port Huron, Michigan
(click pics to enlarge)

I woke up early on this chilly morning so I'll post a goodbye to Lake Huron while drinking my morning coffee. The coffee is now Folgers Black Silk since I ran out of Community Club about a week ago. I guess the 3 cases didn't last as long as I thought they would, but this Folgers is pretty good. The temperature got down to the upper 50's the last two nights, which makes sleeping good. Yesterdays high was lower to mid 60's with a chilly wind blowing but the day before was a very hot and humid 88 degrees. The lake looked like the ocean with waves rolling in from the wind. It was an angry looking lake that had changed color. A couple brave kids were out in it trying to ride a wave. Lake Huron has shown me both sides of her; the quiet, calm bright blue and the wavy, angry darker side.
Angry Huron
 
Kids braving the cold

A man and his thoughts

There is also a pile of painted rocks as you head down to the lake. The story is that kids and adults pick up a rock at the end of the camping year and paint it over the winter. The first time they come back to the campground/lake in the spring, they put it in the pile everyone to see. The picture is the beginning of this years pile. Everyone stops on their way to the lake to see what has been added. Some of them have names but most don't. When I got here there were only a few of them and now there must be a few dozen and it increases daily. It is a way to connect from year to year with this place. The locals use this campground more than travelers like me. I think it is neat.for 

I must be a hug pile by the end of summer


Neat Tree on one of the paths to the Lake

Lakeport State Park, Port Huron, MI
I'll be hitching up and heading west to a place called Ionia Recreation Area. I'll be there through Sunday. It is an easy tow of about 160 miles with most along the interstate with a couple rest areas along the way. The campground is kind of isolated so I'll be stopping at a Walmart in Lansing on the way to get some food. I can put it right in the refrigerator while parked in the parking lot.

Port Huron has been a good stop. Except for the winters, it would be a nice place to live.

Ya'll take care of each other. Cya down the road.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. McMillan's classAugust 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM

    My class thought the rocks were neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Mc's Class,
      I thought they were neat too. Some of them took a long time to paint and a lot of thought went into getting it just right. It is sort of like being able to pass a message from one year to the next.

      Delete